Monday 5 May 2014

MY TOP TEN FAVOURITE BOOKS : GONE WITH THE WIND by MARGARET MITCHELL


This is my ninth entry in the list of my favourite top ten books. 
 Scarlett O'Hara and Rhett Butler- do I need to write anything else in the favour of this epic historical romance novel.This book is the first and last novel published by Margaret Mitchell in her lifetime.It depicts the experiences of Scarlett O'Hara, the spoiled daughter of a well-to-do plantation owner, who must use every means at her disposal to come out of the poverty she finds herself in after the American Civil War.
 All the characters in this story are rich and lively, the descriptions are colorful and flourishing without taking away from the actual storyline.Moreover the complexities of the characters are amusing, frustrating and heartbreaking.One can be rest asssured that all our emotions will be visited while reading this book.
Scarlett and Rhett :these two strong characters and their chemistry, their egos, their love, their fights, their  attitude, their anger, their differences are a delight to be read, in the backdrop of the American Civil War and the Reconstruction Era. 
This is one book which I had to read more than once to understand the story, the complexities of the character and to fully understand what it was to be alive and struggling for mere survival in those war-torn times.
Though the plot at times feels to be dragging, but the overall story's impact is so powerful that one cannot help but love this epic novel.

1 comment:

  1. 'Gone with the wind' is one of my all-time favourite. For me, it's like an old friend, I keep revisiting often.
    But I love happy endings. I just wish Margaret Mitchell had given this story one.

    Nimi
    mightieroption.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete