Saturday 3 May 2014

MY TOP TEN FAVOURITE BOOKS : THE BRIDGES OF MADISON COUNTY by ROBERT JAMES WALLER


This is my seventh entry in the list of my favourite top ten books. This one is also a romantic, mushy novel which I totally love. I was introduced to this beautiful novel by Farheen, a very very dear friend of mine. We were roommates in a paying guest accommodation in Bangalore, where I was studying for my B.com degree and Farheen was studying law. I finished this book in one day flat beacuse I just could not put it down. 
The story is about a married but lonely housewife who falls in love with a photographer visiting Madison County and has a short four day affair with him. The varied emotions that these two characters go through in the course of the story is very believable and touches my heart whenever I read this book. Though the  lady is genuinely in love with this nomadic photographer, yet she refuses to leave the town with him because of her duty and responsibility towards her husband and her children.
The scene where the photographer is leaving the town and the female's anguish and delimna in doing what is ethically and morally right, is very touching and always brings tears to my eyes. What a poignant love story!
Romantic novels have always attracted me and I am one of those females, who would definetely pick up a love story rather than a thriller or a murder mystery or a science fiction. Hence this one had to be added to my favourite list.

No comments:

Post a Comment